Post-Doctoral Fellow, Texas A&M University (1982-84)
Ph.D. Indian Institute of Technology, Madras, India (1981)
M.S. University of Madras, India (1977)
B.S. University of Madras, India (1975)
Our research efforts focus on designing new inorganic solid state functional materials for emerging applications in the fields of: electronics, including topological insulators, solid-state energy conversion and storage, superconductivity, magnetic materials, catalysis, durable high performance color pigments, efficient environmentally benign chemical synthesis processes (e.g. rapid synthesis of high-temperature materials using microwave radiation). We are particularly inspired by the challenges involved in developing design concepts for materials with conflicting or contraindicating properties, as seen in: thermoelectrics, multiferroics, high K dielectrics, negative thermal expansion materials. The team has a track record of making important and exciting scientific breakthroughs in materials chemistry. Discoveries have been given prominent coverage throughout the world in leading newspapers and magazines – including The New York Times, TIME, NPR, National Geographic Magazine, C&EN news, La Monde (France), Geo (Germany), Chemistry World (UK), and The Hindu (India).
Research AreaMaterials Science
- Li, J., Smith, A.E., Jiang, P., Stalick, J.K., Sleight, A.W., Subramanian, M.A. True composition and structure of hexagonal "YAlO3", actually Y3Al3O8CO3. Inorganic Chemistry, (2015) 54, 837-844.
- Grajczyk, R., Subramanian, M. A. Structure-property relationships of YbFe2O4 -and Yb2Fe3O7 -type layered oxides: A bird's eye view. Progress in Solid State Chemistry, (2015) 43, 37-46.
- Heo, J., Ravichandran, R., Laurita, G., Muir, S., Subramanian, M.A., Wager, J.F., Keszler, D.A. New multi-functional chalcogenides as photovoltaic and thermoelectric materials. American Chemical Society, Division of Energy & Fuels, (2014) 59, 579-580
- Matar, S., Subramanian, M.A., Etourneau, J. Pressure induced metallization of fordite SnNb2O6 from first principles. Computational Materials Science, (2014) 26, 2047-2051.
- Heo, J., Laurita, G., Muir, S., Subramanian, M.A., Keszler, D. A. Enhanced thermoelectric performance of synthetic tetrahedrites. Chemistry of Materials, (2014) 26, 2047-2051.
- Laurita, G., Vielma, J., Berthelot, R., Winter, F., Pöttgen, R., Schneider, G., Subramanian, M. A. From Ag2Sb2O6 to Cd2Sb2O7: investigations on an anion-deficient to ideal pyrochlore solid solution. Journal of Solid State Chemistry, (2014) 210, 65–73.
- Schmidt, W., Berthelot, R., Etienne, Laetitia., Wattiaux, A., Subramanian, M.A. Synthesis and characterization of O3-Na3LiFeSbO6: A new honeycomb ordered layered oxide. Materials Research Bulletin, (2014) 50, 292-296.
- Laurita, G., Page, K., Sleight, A. W., Subramanian, M. A. Structural investigation of the substituted pyrochlore AgSbO3 through total scattering techniques. Inorganic Chemistry, (2013) 52, 11530-11537.
- Grajczyk, R., Chan, A., Ramirez, A. P., Subramanian, M. A. Structural and magnetic investigation of In2Fe2-xGaxCuO7. Journal of Solid State Chemistry, (2013) 204, 213-218.
- Jiang, P., Li, J., Ozarowski, A., Sleight, A. W., Subramanian, M. A. Intense Turquoise and green colors in Brownmillerite-type oxides based on Mn5+ in Ba2In2-xMnxO5+x. Inorganic Chemistry, (2013) 52, 1349-1357.
- FA Gilfillan Memorial Award for Distinguished Scholarship in Science (2013)
- OSU Recipient of Chemical Research Society of India (CRSI) Medal (2012)
- Inducted into the Gordon Research Conference (GRC) Hall of Fame (2011)
- Chair of Excellence, CRISMAT, France (2006-2009)
- Ralf Busch Materials Science Seminar Award, OSU (2007)
- DuPont Charles Pedersen Medal Award for Excellence in Scientific Research (2004)