Department of Mathematics
Department of Mathematics
Postdoctoral Researcher, August 2020 - July 2021
Department of Statistics, University of Warwick
Mentor: Simon Spencer
Postdoctoral Researcher, Sept 2017 - July 2020
Mathematics Department, Tulane University
Mentor: Scott McKinley
Postdoctoral Researcher, Sept 2016 - August 2017
Mathematics Department, University of Vienna
Mentor: Reinhard Bürger
Modeling of population dynamics, genetics, and infectious diseases.
Ph.D., University of California, 2016, Applied Mathematics
B.A., Northwestern University, 2009, Integrated Science, Biology, International Studies
- Davis CN, Castano S, Aliee M, Patel S, Miaka EM, Keeling MJ, Spencer SEF, Chitnis, N, and Rock KS. accepted. Modelling to quantify the likelihood that local elimination of transmission has occurred using routine gambiense human African trypanosomiasis surveillance data.
- Aliee M, Castano S, Davis CN, Patel S, Miaka EM, Spencer SEF, Keeling MJ, Chitnis, N, and Rock KS. 2021. Predicting the impact of COVID-19 interruptions on transmission of gambiense human African trypanosomiasis in two health zones of the Democratic Republic of Congo. Transactions of The Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, 115: 245-252.
- Cortez MH, Patel S, and Schreiber SJ. 2020. Destabilizing evolutionary and eco-evolutionary feedbacks drive eco-evo cycles in empirical systems. Proceedings of Royal Society B, 287.
- Yamamichi M, Lyberger K, and Patel S. 2019. Antagonistic coevolution between multiple quantitative traits: matching interactions can be subsets of difference interactions. Population Ecology.
- Patel S and Bürger R. 2019. Eco-evolutionary feedbacks between prey densities and linkage disequilibrium in the predator maintain diversity. Evolution, 73: 1533- 1548.
- Azuaje Rodriguez, R, Weckstein, J, Dispoto J, Patel S, Bates J, Silva S, and Aleixo A. 2018. Molecular systematics of the Amazonian endemic genus Hylexetastes (Aves: Dendrocolaptidae): taxonomic and conservation implications. Ibis.
- Patel S, Cortez MH and Schreiber SJ. 2018. Partitioning the effects of eco-evolutionary feedbacks on community stability. The American Naturalist, 191: 381-394.
- Patel S and Schreiber SJ. 2018. Robust permanence for ecological equations with internal and external feedbacks. Journal of Mathematical Biology, 77: 79-105.
- terHorst CJ, Zee P, Heath K, Miller T, Pastore A, Patel S, Schreiber SJ, Wade M and Walsh M. 2018. Evolution in a community context: trait responses to multiple species interactions. The American Naturalist, 191: 368-380.
- Schreiber SJ, Patel S, and terHorst CJ. 2018. Evolution as a coexistence mechanism: Does genetic architecture matter? The American Naturalist, 191: 407-420.
- Cortez MH and Patel S. 2017. The effects of predator evolution and genetic variation on predator-prey population-level dynamics. Bulletin of Mathematical Biology, 79: 1510-1538.
- Schreiber SJ and Patel S. 2015. Evolutionarily induced alternative states and coexistence in systems with apparent competition. Natural Resource Modeling, 28: 475-496.
- Patel S and Schreiber SJ. 2015. Evolutionary-driven shifts in communities with intraguild predation. The American Naturalist 186: E98-E110.
- Patel S, Kimball RT, and Braun EL. 2013. Error in phylogenetic estimation for bushes in the Tree of Life. Journal of Phylogenetics and Evolutionary Biology 1: 1-10.
- Patel S, Weckstein J, Patane J, Bates J, Aleixo A. 2011. Temporal and spatial diversification of Pteroglossus aracaris (AVES: Ramphastidae) in the neotropics: Constant rate of diversification does not support an increase in radiation during the Pleistocene. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 58: 105-115.
- National Science Foundation conference grant (co-PI) 2021
- Institute for Advanced Study Ambassador Fellowship (co-PI) 2019
- Tulane University Postdoctoral Travel Award 2018, 2019
- American Association of University Women Fellowship 2015-2016
- UC Davis and Humanities Graduate Research Award 2014
- NSF Vigre Summer Research Fellowship 2013
- NSF Graduate Research Fellowship 2010-2015
- Grinter Graduate Research Fellowship 2010-2011
- Fulbright Fellowship 2009-2010
- Emanuel Margoliash Basic Research Prize 2009
- Undergraduate Research Grant 2008
- NSF Research Experience for Undergraduates 2007