Rich G. Carter
Rich G. Carter
NIH Postdoctoral Fellow, Oregon State University (1997-99)
Ph.D. University of Texas at Austin (1997)
B.S. Gettysburg College (1993)
Our laboratory is interested in the total synthesis of complex, biological active natural products. Each natural product endeavor that our laboratory pursues must satisfy two common parameters: (a) the target must inspire us to come up with innovative methods for its construction and (b) the target must contain a broader scientific question or a topic that engages scientists from other areas. Recent natural product families of interest include the lycopodium alkaloids, amphidinolides, mandelalides and furanyl diterpenes. Our laboratory maintains multiple collaborations to fully explore the potential applications of synthesized compounds. In addition, our synthetic endeavors have led to multiple new reaction methodologies including proline sulfonamide organocatalysis, umpolung SAOD chemistry (sulfone alkylation oxidative desulfurization) and silver-catalyzed heterocycle formation. A more detailed description of these projects can be found on our research group website.
Research AreaBiomedical Science
- Saha, M.; Carter, R. G. "Toward a Unified Approach for the Lycopodines: Synthesis of 10-Hydroxylycopodine, Deacetylpaniculine and Paniculine." Org. Lett. 2013, 15, 736-739
- Lu, L.; Zhang, W.; Nam, S.; Horne, D. A.; Jove, R.; Carter, R. G. "Amphidinolide B: Total Synthesis, Structural Investigation and Biological Evaluation." J. Org. Chem. 2013, 78, 2213-2247.
- Veerasamy, N.; Carlson, E. C.; Collett, N. D.; Saha, M.; Carter, R. G. "Enantioselective Approach to Quinolizidines: Total Synthesis of Cermizine D and Formal Syntheses of Senepodine G and Cermizine C" J. Org. Chem. 2013, 78, 4779-4800
- Mahapatra, S.; Carter, R. G. “Exploiting Hidden Symmetry in Natural Products: Total Syntheses of Amphidinolides C and F.” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2013, 135, 10792-10803.
- Jariyasopit, N.; McIntosh, M.; Zimmermann, K.; Arey, J.; Atkinson, R.; Cheong, P. H.-Y,; Carter, R. G.; Yu, T.-W.; Dashwood, R. H.; Simonich Massey, S. L. "4. Novel Nitro-PAH Formation from Heterogeneous Reactions of PAHs with NO2, NO3/N2O5, and OH Radicals: Prediction, Laboratory Studies, and Mutagenicity." Environ. Sci. Tech. 2014, 48, 412-419
- Xiao, J.-A.; Liu, Q.; Ren, J.-W.; Liu, J.; Carter, R. G.; Chen, X.-Q.; Yang, H. "Highly enantioselective construction of polycyclic spiro-oxindoles by organocatalytic 1,3-dipolar cycloaddition of 2-cyclohexenone catalyzed by proline-sulfonamide." Eur. J. Org. Chem. 2014, 2014, 5700-5704
- Luo, W.; Bommier, C.; Jian, Z.; Carter, R.; Vail, S.; Lu, Y.; Lee, J.-J.; Ji, X. "Low-Surface-Area Hard Carbon Anode for Na-Ion Batteries via Graphene Oxide as a Dehydration Agent." ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 2015, 7, 2626-2631
- Harada, K.; Imai, A.; Ito, K.; Carter, R. G.; Kubo, M.; Fukuyama, Y. "Synthesis of Jiadifenin Using Mizoroki−Heck and Tsuji−Trost Reactions."Tetrahedron 2015, 71, 2199-2209.
- El-Mansy, M. F.; Kang, J. Y.; Lingampally, R.; Carter, R. G. "Proline Sulfonamide-Catalyzed, Domino Process for Asymmetric Synthesis of Amino- and Hydroxy-Substituted Bicyclo[2.2.2]octanes." Eur. J. Org. Chem. 2016, 150-157
- Veerasamy, N.; Ghosh, A.; Li, J.; Watanabe, K.; Serrill, J. D.; Ishmael, J. E.; McPhail, K. L.; Carter, R. G. "Enantioselective Total Synthesis of Mandelalide A and Isomandelalide A: Discovery of a Cytotoxic Ring-Expanded Isomer." J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2016, ASAP Web Release January 13
- Milton Harris Award for Basic Research - Oregon State University (2015)
- Japan Society for the Promotion of Science Fellowship (2010)
- Sugihara Young Faculty Research Award (2007)
- Journal Awardee, Synthesis / Synlett Editorial Board - Thieme Publishers (2007)
- Awarded Early Tenure from Oregon State University (2004)
- National Institutes of Health Postdoctoral Fellow (1997-99)
- David Burton Jr. Fellowship Award (1996)
- John B. Zinn Chemistry Research Award (1993)
- Stine Chemistry Prize (1993)
- Esther Brandt Chemistry Award (1992)