There is more than one path to a health career. Find yours.
Our team of Health Professions Advisors is integral to your pre-health experience at Oregon State University. OSU has an experienced Pre-Medical Committee composed of experienced academic advisors and faculty from departments across the OSU campus. They meet with students and help them with all aspects of the planning, preparation and application for professional graduate programs.
Pre-health majors are encouraged to meet with an assigned advisor, who will help them stay on track with relevant prerequisite and elective courses, help them understand and meet professional school admission requirements and write letters of recommendation for professional school.
In addition to your primary advisor, pre-health professions advisors will guide you on every step of your journey —from first-year orientation to graduation — to help you reach your academic goals and develop and succeed as future health professionals. No matter your major, every College of Science student with an interest in medical, dentistry, pharmacy and other health graduate programs can seek guidance from a pre-health advisor.
In addition to step-by-step guidance to ensure you are well prepared for the health program application process, our health professions advisors can help you:
- Plan course selection each year
- Identify and apply for transformative learning opportunities in the summer that include job shadowing in a health career, clinical volunteering experiences, medical internships, undergraduate research scholarships as well as study abroad programs.
- Evaluate and explore career options in health and wellness.
- Review your academic success and discuss careers in the field of health
- Help you broaden your university life by exploring ways to get involved in extracurricular activities during your freshmen, sophomore, junior and senior years (e.g., student clubs, leadership, undergraduate research opportunities, volunteering).
Our exceptional pre-health advising program ensures an impressive admission rate to medical school. OSU pre-med graduates are very well-prepared and gain admission to medical schools all across the country. Generally, about 60-75% of OSU applicants are admitted compared to 33-40% nationally. OSU students have been admitted to medical schools all across the United States, including Harvard, Yale, Oregon Health & Sciences University, University of Chicago, UCLA, Western University, Michigan State University and others.