Corvallis — our hometown of 58,000 — blends the feel of a college town with the opportunities of an energetic city. Within walking distance of campus, you can eat at a mix of unique restaurants, browse eclectic shops, experience live music and art shows, and explore miles of trails.
Endless events and opportunities flow through Corvallis and the OSU campus every week.
Things to do downtown
- Enjoy live music while making your way through the Saturday Corvallis Farmers Market shopping for artwork, flowers, fresh produce, meats, cheese and more!
- Watch award-winning, classic indie films that span all genres at Darkside Cinema, our neighborhood independent theater.
- Experience live musical and theatrical productions at the Majestic Theatre where entertainment ranges from live musicals to ballets, modern dance and concerts.
- Venture into Escape Corvallis, an immersive, 60-minute physical and mental adventure that provides a stimulating interactive experience for you and your friends.
- Challenge your friends to a competitive bowling game at Highland Bowl.
- Walk the boardwalk trails at William L. Finley National Wildlife Refuge and watch wildlife through observation blinds that allow for a closer look at birds, turtles and sometimes even elk.
- Trek through the Bald Hill Natural Area, home to approximately five miles of easy-to-rigorous dirt and gravel trails.
- Scout through Peavy Arboretum, a forest favorite of the McDonald-Dunn Research Forest that includes ancient Native American sites.
- Explore diverse forest types at the OSU McDonald-Dunn Research Forest, including oak woodlands, forest plantations, riparian areas and old growth reserves.
- At Mary’s Peak, the highest point in Oregon’s Coast Range, you can view the Pacific Ocean to the west and many of the Cascade peaks to the east across the Willamette Valley.
- Round up a group of friends for an Intramural Sports Team with activity options featuring everything from dodgeball to water battleship to sand volleyball.
- Attend a cultural holiday celebration, cooking demonstrations or craft nights at one of OSU’s seven cultural centers.
- Check out the OSU Craft Center, a community art studio that lets you engage with different artistic media, like woodworking, glass, fiber arts, digital art and ceramics.
- Cheer on the Beavers at an athletic event, whether it’s our football team, our nationally ranked basketball or baseball teams, gymnastic teams or other sports.
- And so much more! Watch OSU’s Event Calendar for art festivals, singing competitions, drop-in meditation sessions, social justice events, stimulating lectures and many other endless opportunities.
Restaurants near campus
It’s true, we love food — great food that’s good for you and good for the Earth. From vitality bowls to burgers to ramen, Corvallis restaurants offer it all. No matter what mood you are in, you'll find that a restaurant will satisfy your cravings. Here are a few of the top places to eat near the Oregon State campus.
Want even more ideas? Check out this student-created bucket list of the must-do activities to check out while at OSU.