Ready to discover something new about yourself?
A college education not only prepares you for your first job or a career, but it also prepares you for life. Experiential learning opportunities such as career and professional development, community service or volunteering, leadership roles in student organizations, global experiences, research and others enhance your science education.
A science degree is certainly valuable, but it also teaches you the professional and life skills that are essential for success in the 21st century workforce. With high “employability skills” like communication, teamwork, critical thinking, problem solving and quantitative reasoning skills, you are well-positioned not only for a satisfying career and life but also prepared to tackle the complexities of our world after graduation.
Throughout your Oregon State science education, you will be surrounded by many opportunities to engage in hands on—or experiential learning—opportunities, such as:
- Internships – students gain real-world experience and an understanding of how a science education translates into a path toward a satisfying career and life.
- Study abroad – students who immerse themselves in another culture gain a global perspective after experiencing domestic and international diversity and broader thinking. This helps you better navigate diverse communities and workplaces while appreciating individual differences.
- Community service – students help and improve their communities while gaining a sense of responsibility and contributing to the greater good.
- Leadership – this helps students increase their ability to make a difference in their communities and in the world while learning about teamwork, collaboration and inspiring and respecting others.
- Undergraduate research – our students don’t just study science in the classroom, they get in the lab and contribute to it, working alongside world-class faculty as integral members of teams that conduct ground-breaking research, create new knowledge and advance science. For many students, working in a lab brings science to life and they flourish.
Transformative experiences are among the best ways to enhance your science degree. They help you develop critical and creative thinking, problem-solving abilities, teamwork and communication. If you make the most of your science education with a selection of hands-on experiences, you will be well prepared for your first job, your seventh job and life beyond wherever that takes you.