Kevin G. Ahern
Kevin G. Ahern
At Oregon State University I am a Professor in the Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics where I teach courses largely taken by students pursuing careers in the health sciences. These are survey classes required by many majors in the life sciences (biology, microbiology, botany/plant pathology, bioengineering) and include BB450/550 and BB 451/551 (General Biochemistry) and BB 350 (Elementary Biochemistry). Other courses I teach include a Synthesis course, BB 332 (Molecular Medicine), an Honors College course, BB 405H (Scientists in the Public Eye), and BB 111 (Introduction to Biochemistry/Biophysics Research). Each of the survey courses is available four times per year on OSU's Ecampus. I am an ardent advocate of the use of technology in the classroom and towards this end I videotape all of my survey course lectures and provide streaming and iPod content of each to students on the Internet.
I am also a lecturer for a company called Lecturio where I have 171 videos that can be accessed.
I am a co-author on three popular Open Educational electronic textbooks. They are 1) "Biochemistry Free and Easy," 2) “Biochemistry Free For All,” and 3) "Kevin and Indira's Guide to Getting Into Medical School." Each of these books can be downloaded for free.
I was an author on the popular Mathews, van Holde, and Ahern “Biochemistry” textbook published by Addison-Wesley Longman in 2000. I am also the creator of the Metabolic Melodies, a series of biochemistry-related lyrics I wrote to popular melodies.
Besides my efforts at OSU, I had a separate career for over 25 years as a science writer/editor. This included stints as a contributing editor to BioTechniques from 2004 to 2011 (wrote the monthly WebWatch column), Genetic Engineering News from 1997 to 2009 (wrote the "On the Web" column), and Science magazine from 1998 to 2003 (software reviews in the Compass section). I served for 12 years as editor of BIOTECHNOLOGY SOFTWARE & INTERNET JOURNAL.
For fun, I like to write humorous verses and limericks and have produced seven books of them. All can be accessed through my website.
Ph.D. Biochemistry and Biophysics, 1986 - Oregon State University
M.S. Biochemistry, 1981 - Oklahoma State University
B.S. Zoology, 1976 - Oklahoma State University
- Elizabeth P. Ritchie Distinguished Professor (2017)
- Robert Foster Cherry Award for Great Teaching - semi-finalist for 2018 award – (http://www.baylor.edu/cherry_awards/index.php?id=941441)
- Eminent Professor of University Honors College (2017)
- Phi Beta Kappa Best Mentor/Advisor Award (2017)
- Robert Foster Cherry Award for Great Teaching - semi-finalist for 2016 award - http://www.baylor.edu/cherry_awards/index.php?id=927523
- Outreach & Engagement Vice Provost Award for Excellence – Innovation Award for Open Educational Resources (2014)
- National Academic Advising Association (NACADA) Outstanding Faculty Award for Faculty Advising (2013)
- OSU Library Open Access Hall of Fame (2013)
- Olaf Boedtker Award for Excellence in Advising, College of Science, Oregon State University (2011).
- Mortar Board Top Professor (2016-17, 2015-16, 2013-14, 2012-13, 2010-11, 2009-10, 2008-09, 2007-08, 2006-07, 2004-05, 2003-04, 2001-02, 2000-01, 1998-99)
- OSU Nominee for U.S. Professor of the Year (2009)
- Beaver Champion Award (2008)
- Medical Foundation of Oregon Mentor Award (2007)
- Frederick H. Horne Award for Sustained Excellence in Teaching Science (2006)
- Dar Reese Excellence in Advising Award (2005)
- Olaf Boedtker Award for Excellence in Advising, College of Science, Oregon State University (2000)
- Loyd Carter Award for Outstanding and Inspirational Teaching, College of Science, Oregon State University (1999)
- University Honors College Instructor of the Year finalist (2003-04, 2009-10)
- U.S. Patent #5,470,724